Thursday, December 20, 2012

I'm starting to trust my therapist more.

Well I saw my therapist today and I brought up a lot of hard things with her. I told her about being tired of a bunch of stuff, like taking the world's weight on my shoulders and not helping myself. Like getting overwhelmed and shutting down a lot. etc. We have a lot to work on, but I'm hopeful. She really 'gets' me and it's such a new feeling, to have someone really understand me.

She wants to watch clips of videos or t.v shows with me, so I can try to process the subtle nonverbal cues in the actors and compare my observations to hers, so we can see where I'm weak at and where she can help.

So much to work on though.
Being able to taking criticism.
Sticking up for myself.
Learning social 'cues' like body language, expressions, etc..
Setting boundaries so I'm not taking everyone else's problems as well as my own.
Creating a healthy routine...

She also thinks that I could be over critical of myself, and observing things that I'm not even aware of. I'm not so sure what she meant by that, we didn't have enough time to go into it.

She encouraged me to call her if I need to. She does every week. I always have trouble calling her but it's something I need to try and work on.

She said she's glad to see how motivated I am to work on things. And she was super glad for the present I made her- I made a little 'therapy coupon book' that she could use on me. Things like proper use of eye contact or initiating a phone call, or entry into "forbidden territory", one more probing question, etc. She loved it and said she'd have to re-use the idea herself.  :blush:

I have the next 2 weeks off without her, but I think I'll manage. I will call her if I need to, but I can also email. I might call her instead because I can't read her tone over email and it kinda scares me sometimes, she's a lot more personable over voice. Her voice calms me a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment